BBC.co.uk Oct 2017
Hayley Smith was encouraged by her manager to apply for other jobs when she told her employer about her depression.
300,000 people with mental health leave their jobs each year a report says. This “Thriving at Work Report”, commissioned by Theresa May, makes 40 recommendations for how to support employees with mental health issues, including:
- Creating a mental health at work plan
- Building awareness by making information and support accessible
- Provide good working conditions
- Ensuring employees have a healthy work-life balance
- Promoting effective people management and promoting conversation
- Routinely monitoring of employee mental health
Mrs May said: “It is only by making this an everyday concern for everyone that we change the way we see mental illness, so that striving to improve your mental health – whether at work or at home – is seen as just as positive as improving our physical well-being.”
RSR Law Solicitors, London are discrimination at work experts and can help with Free Advice if you feel you have been discriminated against at work. Discrimination at Work due to Mental Illness is unacceptable and laws are there to protect you.